Sunday, October 10, 2010

Photography Assignment #2 - Your Camera and the Camera Modes

Teachers description for Assignment #2:
"Tell us about your camera. Who is the manufacturer and what is the model? What is the maximum resolution? List the modes available on your camera.

Make a photograph using one of these modes. State which mode you used, and why you feel it was appropriate for the image."

I actually went out to several different locations to play with the different preset modes for one of my cameras. I went to Point Lobos State Reserve, San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo Mission, and Monterey Bay.

Here is what I wrote for the assignment:

I actually have 2 cameras that I switch between using.

My main camera which I plan on using for most of my photos in the class is a Nikon D300 which for the most part is a Manual Camera. The modes on the camera are Program Auto with flexible program, Shutter-Priority Auto, Aperture-Priority Auto, and Manual. The maximum resolution on this camera is 4288 x 2848 which is 12.2 megapixels. The reason I did not select this camera to use for this assignment is my photography comes naturally but I would not be able to explain the steps I did to get the photo which is the reason I am here in this class to learn more about how the camera works with its settings.

But for this assignment I decided to use my Nikon D70 which does have preset modes. The modes on this camera are Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Night Landscape, Night Portrait, Manual, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, and Program Shift. The maximum resolution on the D70 is 3008 x 2000 which is 6.1 megapixels.

Both cameras have the option to shoot in JPEG or RAW but my preference is to photograph in RAW format since it gives me more control over the photo if I need to make changes to it.

My photograph is of San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo Mission and I used the Landscape preset mode. The reason I used the Landscape mode is because I wanted to create a sharp image of the cross and the mission at the same time plus I wanted the vibrant color of the sky. I did enhance the saturation a little bit in Capture NX to add a little bit more blue to the sky.



I used this photo of San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo Mission for my photography assignment. The next photos I am posting are other photos I liked for the assignment but decided not to use them.







No comments:

Post a Comment