Sunday, October 31, 2010

Adam and Eve

One of my favorite past times is to go hiking and one of the places my husband and I go hiking at is up in the hills at Villa Montalvo.

Villa Montalvo is a historical landmark built in 1912 by James Duval Phelan.

James Duval Phelan was a three time Mayor of San Francisco, California and he was California's first popularly elected U.S. Senator.

James Duval Phelan would invite writers and artist to the estate so they could be inspired by their surroundings.

Some of the many guest that would attend the estate on a regular basis was Jack London, Ethel Barrymore, Mary Pickford, Douglass Fairbanks, and Edwin Markham.

The view from on top of the hills when you go hiking is very beautiful but also Villa Montalvo has several interesting statues in its gardens that I really enjoy seeing when I visit the estate. My favorite sculpture is of Adam and Eve. Here are a few pictures of the Adam and Eve Sculpture at Villa Montalvo.


What you can not see in this picture is the serpent holding an apple behind them but you can see his tail at the bottom left of the picture near Eve's foot.




No comments:

Post a Comment